Anne Kelly, New Business Manager in CPM, shares what does #ChooseToChallenge mean to her, some of the challenges she has faced and great advice for young women starting their career.
Tell us about your role within CPM, your career progression and how long you have been working in the company.
I am in my current role as New Business Manager in CPM Ireland for the last 5 months. My role consists of identifying sales leads and pitching solutions to new clients. I have worked in sales for over 20 years in telecommunications and more recently within the food industry.
- What is the most challenging thing about your job?
Getting to talk to the right Decision maker at the right time and without f2f interaction in Covid19 landscape, I find I am missing the personal connection not only with clients but also meeting with new colleagues. The flip side is I’m embracing technology and found myself adapting well to the digital landscape.
- What is the most rewarding?
When the solution meets a customer’s need and closing the sale it’s a win, win.
- What does the 2021 International Women’s Day slogan, #ChooseToChallenge mean for you in your work life?
For me #ChooseToChallenge is to educate myself and expand my cross-cultural awareness and engage with my colleagues on a personal level whilst celebrating and crediting myself and other women for achieving their goals.
- What is the biggest challenge you have overcome in your career?
Working in a high targeted sales environment whilst caring for a sick parent.
- What are the current challenges for women in your sector?
Changing the historic sales mindset from ‘What Can I sell you?’ to ‘How can I help you?’. I believe women generally make great salespeople by virtue of the fact they tend to be great listeners which makes them excellent problem solvers. Sales is about figuring out what the customer’s problem is and how your product or service may solve that problem.
- Which woman do you admire the most?
That has to be my mother who was not only a great mother and best friend, but a role model and mentor to me, giving the right advise and the can-do attitude whilst remaining true to myself.
- What action or decision have you taken that you are most proud of?
To leave a job that I believed didn’t have the customers best interest at heart.
- What advice could you give to young women on how they can #ChooseToChallenge in their workplace?
Be true to yourself and never let what somebody says distract you from your goals.
- What is the best advice you have received to help you progress on your career?
Go with your gut as it won’t let you down.
If you would like to know more about CPM, contact us at email@example.com.